When we talk of Christmas, first thing that comes to mind is sweets and cookies.
Here we have provided a simple, delicious and easy to prepare gingerbread cookie recipe.
There is no denying that kids love these cookies, but adults seem to enjoy every bit as much as they can, especially with a hot cup of tea.
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 2 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 cup of margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of unsulfured molasses
- 3/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp of lemon extract
- 4 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Lightly grease the cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Mix in the melted margarine, evaporated milk, molasses, vanilla, and lemon extracts. Stir in the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. The dough should be stiff enough to handle without sticking to fingers. If necessary, increase flour by up to 1/2 cup to prevent sticking.
- When the dough is smooth, roll it out to 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface and cut into cookies. Place cookies on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. The cookies are done when the top springs back when touched. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.