India, officially the Republic of India is a country located in South Asia. It is bordered by Pakistan to the west, China, Nepal, and Bhutan to the north-east; Burma and Bangladesh to the east and Indian Ocean to the south.
New Delhi is the capital while Mumbai is the largest city of India.
Christmas Celebrations in India :
With only 2.3% of the total population of India following Christianity, Christmas is quite a small festival in India, as compared to celebrations of some other festivals like Diwali.
The celebrations of Christmas in India is somewhat different to celebrations taking place in United States or Europe.
Although Christmas Day is a gazetted holiday in India, the celebrations are most noticeable in states where there are many Christians.
Christmas celebrations are grand in Mumbai and Goa where you see Christmas decorations at major shopping malls and commercial establishments, houses, streets, etc. Here people are seen singing Christmas carols and many of the churches hold Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve.
Many Christian houses in India decorates Christmas cribs or nativity scene and distribute sweets and cakes to their neighbors.
Christmas is also widely celebrated in Kerala and north eastern states of India like Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Manipur, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh, etc where there is a substantial Christian population.
In addition, you’ll find Christmas celebrations in other south Indian cities such as Bangalore and Chennai.
Nowadays in India, more and more people from other religions are also celebrating Christmas.
A unique Christmas tradition you find in India is that instead of having traditional Christmas Trees, a banana or mango tree is decorated (or whatever tree people can find to decorate!). Sometimes people even use mango leaves to decorate their homes.
Just like other parts of the world, in India also Father Christmas or Santa Claus delivers presents to children.
Merry Christmas Wishes in Indian Languages :
- Hindi Christmas Wishes – Shubh Krisamas (शुभ क्रिसमस)
- Urdu Christmas Wishes – Krismas Mubarak (کرسمس)
- Gujarati Christmas Wishes – Anandi Natal (આનંદી નાતાલ)
- Marathi Christmas Wishes – Natal Chya Shubechha (नाताळच्या शुभेच्छा)
- Sanskrit Christmas Wishes – Krismasasya shubhkaamnaa
- Bengali Christmas Wishes – Shubho Boṛodin
- Tamil Christmas Wishes – Christmas Vazhthukkal (கிறிஸ்துமஸ் வாழ்த்துக்கள்)
- Punjabi Christmas Wishes – Karisama te nawāṃ sāla khušayāṃwālā hewe (ਕਰਿਸਮ ਤੇ ਨਵਾੰ ਸਾਲ ਖੁਸ਼ਿਯਾੰਵਾਲਾ ਹੋਵੇ)
- Konkani Christmas Wishes – Khushal Borit Natala
- Malayalam Christmas Wishes – Christmas Ashamsakal (ക്രിസ്തുമസ് ആശംസകല്)
- Telugu Christmas Wishes – Christmas Subhakankshalu (క్రిస్మస్ శుభాకాంక్షలు)
- Kannada Christmas Wishes – Christmas Shubhashayagalu (ಕ್ರಿಸ್ಮಸ್ ಶುಭಾಶಯಗಳನ್ನು)
Note : Soon we will have details about Christmas Celebrations in different states of India namely – Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Odisha, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, West Bengal and Union Territories namely – Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Chandigarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu, Lakshadweep, NCT and Puducherry.
We wish all readers Merry Christmas 2018 and Happy New Year 2019 !!!